Saturday, November 26, 2011

Treasured moments with Maternal Grandparents

I have never known my Ah Kong. I have heard many stories about him from Mami, and I know that he is certainly someone I would have been proud off.

My Ah Kong was the Deputy Director General of Department of Survey and Mapping. He was a Senior Government Officer in Jabatan Ukur and Pemetaan Malaysia. He retired just before he passed away.

Ah Kong passed away in May 2004 due to cancer. It was after that when Mami conceived me a few months later. I guess it was God's perfect timing for Mami to conceive me. It had helped her move on, putting behind all the grievances. However, even when I was still in Mami's tummy, I knew that Mami was constantly sad over the lost of her beloved Daddy. Ah Mah was the one mostly affected by the lost of Ah Kong. She entered into a period of depression and everyone was praying that she would recover after my arrival.

By end of 2004, Dadi, Mami and Ah Mah shifted to a new house within Taman Midah. The new house is near Ah Ku's house. It was a busy time getting the house ready for my arrival. All went well and I was born in April 2005.

During that time, Dadi and Mami hired a maid who would help Ah Mah to take care of me. After two years, the maid left and Ah Mah, single handedly took care of me while Dadi and Mami were off to work. I was very fortunate to have Ah Mah around. She spent alot of time teaching me flashcards. Would you believe that my Ah Mah even flashed me cards everyday when I'm seated on my throne (potty) doing my business? Well, all the hard work paid off because I am proud to say that I was able to read very well at the age of 3.

It was sad when Ah Mah became ill when I was 4+. It was a very difficult time for the family. She first suffered from pneumonia and ended up with so many other complications, even the doctors were puzzled with her condition. At one stage, there were 5-6 different consulting doctors from different streams seeing her each time in her ward. She was also warded in the ICU and HDU. Ah Mah underwent all the test that the doctors could think of. X-rays, Ct Scan, Biopsy, Bone Marrow, Tibi test, Scope........ you name it, she certainly did it. None of doctors had a solution to treat Ah Mah. In helplessness, everyone prayed earnestly and trusted that God would intervene.

Dadi and Mami were stressed up ensuring that my needs were taken care off. Shaun TiTi was sent to the babysister for the whole day and was brought back only during the weekends. I was taken care by a new maid. There was a stage when the maid went back to Cambodia and didn't return. I was placed at the school daycare for a very short period of time. I knew Mami and Dadi were constantly worried about me. That was when Yeh Yeh and Mah Mah would come from Ipoh as often as they could to accompany me.

God was good and He healed my Ah Mah miraculously. It's amazing how Ah Mah's health turned around. Since then, Ah Mah has been staying with Ah Ku and Ah Kim and would spend the weekends with us. Although Ah Mah has recovered, but her health is still fragile and needs to be monitored. So, we would all have to give as much care to her where possible.

Ah Mah holds Shaun TiTi and I very close to her heart. She loves us very much. She is constantly worried over our studies and health. Everytime she hears any of us sick, she would immediately come over to stay the night with us. She is always checking on my school homework and reminding me to write properly. She constantly complains over my poor handwriting.

God has blessed me with Grandparents whom I love and am proud off. I thank God for them.

No comments: