Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chess

I developed interested in Chess earlier, but I am still unable to play very well. I have not mastered the skill of playing Chess quite yet. I am certainly not in position to challenge my Yeh Yeh in a game of chess at this present moment.

Recently a mother in my school shared with Mami about a place for kids to learn chess. The lessons are conducted by Master Collin Madhavan and his wife. They conduct their lessons in Cheras every Sunday afternoons (except if there are tournaments on that day). You can visit the website http://www.kids4chess.com/. I believe there are other chess programmes at their premises. You pay as you go for each lessons. So, you are not tied up with the lesson. They also sell chess sets and books. So far, I've only gone for one lesson which was about 3 weeks ago.

I was pretty excited when I knew about the existence of Chinese Chess and Animal Chess. I called my Yeh Yeh and Mah Mah a month ago and requested them to buy Animal Chess for my upcoming birthday. I was hoping that it would be easier to find Animal Chess in Ipoh because Mami can't seem to find it here. It's not commonly sold anymore. She could only find Chinese Chess in bookstores.

I was grateful that Yeh Yeh and Mah Mah went hunting for my Animal Chess in Ipoh and they had to drive to town to buy my Animal Chess. I am so happy to be able to have my Animal Chess and I am determined to practise my Animal Chess before Yeh Yeh comes and visit me next month.

And before I forget, when Mah Mah gave me the Animal Chess, she said that she would buy another birthday present for me. This is too cheap for my birthday present.

Mah Mah.... if you are reading this, my present is not measured by how much it cost. This is already one of my best present of all... because I really enjoy playing with it. Thank you Yeh Yeh and Mah Mah for this birthday present.

I have updated this post with the pictures of my Animal Chess.

It's not a board, but made of plastic paper

The paper is folded and it comes in a small square box like this.




5 comments:

Health Freak Mommy said...

You are from Ipoh too? Where did mah mah buy the Chinese Chess from? Thinking of getting a set for Alycia too :)

Ben and Shaun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben and Shaun said...

Yes, my grandparents are from Ipoh. They bought from an old bookshop in Theatre Street in town. It is near the "Lo Wong Ga Choi Kai". It cost RM2.30 a box. Sorry as we don't know the name of the bookshop.

ChloeRuoyi said...

I've never seen this animal chess before and don't even know that it existed *blush* Looks interesting!

Mommy to Chumsy said...

this one looks interesting. oh i just saw shireen's comment here. so you are also from ipoh? :)