Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Will I Have Exam Fever?

I have experienced the stress of exams even when I was a preschooler. I am a boy who worries, and I take my exams seriously. Even at the age of 5, I had sleepless nights before the days of my examination. So much so, Mami was advised to bring me to see a psychologist if my condition was too severe.

What was I worried about? I have always wanted to be first in my class. I wanted to do well, and I wanted to win an award. At that time, my kindergarden would give awards for  the first 3 positions. I was certainly aiming for the first, if not at least one of them. Despite Mami putting so much effort in preparing me for my exams, I was worried that I would forget what was taught. I was worried that Mami had not taught me everything. I was worried that I would be careless. I was worried that I didn't know what to answer. Mami was truly grateful to God for granting my heart's desire of obtaining first place in my kindergarden when I was 5 and 6 years old.

I am now in Primary One. Mami is amazed that I have not shown any signs of stress since my exams is less than a month away. I know that Mami dare not mention the word exams at home, but I do know that my examination is round the corner.

Today, Mami finally asked me the golden question. She asked me if I knew my exams would be coming. I told her yes. She then asked me if I was worried and I replied yes. She asked what I was worried about and I mentioned that I was afraid that I did not know how to answer the questions.

Mami asked me a question. She asked if I trusted God. She told me that God will send a helper, the Holy Spirit to help me during my examinations. I needed to trust and believe. Mami reminded me of the song I used to learn "I will cast all my cares upon You. I lay all of my burdens down at Your feet ....."

Mami prayed for me and I slept well after the prayer.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Indeed it is rare to find a kid who takes exams so much to heart. Very comforting to mummy and daddy. Try your best and leave the rest to God.